The National Ataxia Foundation (NAF) is pleased to announce that 27 promising ataxia research studies from the United States, Canada, Australia, Germany, the Netherlands and Portugal were awarded funding at the December 2016 NAF Board of Directors meeting for fiscal year 2017.
The following are some of the research proposals:
- Continue the National Ataxia Registry, Database, and Tissue Donation Program
- Development of intensive home based speech rehabilitation for ataxia patients
- Development of a Drosophila model for Spinocerebellar Ataxia type 36 (SCA36)
- Search for accurate neuroimaging markers
- Pathophysiology of SCA27
- Role of astrocytes in the pathogenesis of SCA1
- Development and mechanistic study of deep brain stimulation for the treatment of ataxia.
- Unraveling the mechanisms of motor neuron degeneration in SCA1
- Testing the therapeutic potential of Stem Cells in an animal model of SCA3
- Towards an anti-sense therapy for SCA1 in an animal model
- Advancing the therapeutic potential of exon skipping for SCA3